So, here are my lessons:
- Rules don't really exist.
- If it feels good, take the shot.
- Art is something that you make, so make it. Your way.
- The rule of 3rds is just a rule, it can be broken, as can all of your other rules.
- See it, feel it, before you photograph it. We're photographing bits of our lives after all!!
- Get out of the way.
- Ask for help, suggestions; after all, this is about them, not you.
- If it feels good to them, take the shot.
- It's not about you or your technique or style. It's about them. Remove yourself.
- Disregard the rules. (You can crop it to style later, if you all choose)
- Listen. To the person, to the family, to your team.
- Have fun.
- It's a gift. Capture it if you can, but you must live it first.
- It's fleeting. One day, you won't care about the photos you didn't take, you'll care about the moments you didn't truly live.
- Enjoy it.
- It's good, bad and ugly. Hold onto the good, learn from the bad and ugly.
- Be grateful for the rain and the sunshine. If it was worth it to us to take a picture of it this past year, it added to our lives in one way or another because we thought to capture it and share it.